Monday, March 17, 2008

Visual Inspiration IV (This Time It's Personal)

Maybe the title should be: Visual Inspiration IV, The Revenge. Catchy. But the creators of the movie franchise Jaws 4 already came up with both that title and tag line. Oh, well.

It's Monday, folks! Back to writing and polishing my manuscript. Yay! This doesn't mean I put it out of my mind completely over the weekend, by the way. No, no, no. I actually figured out how to untie a plot knot, and now I'm going to dive in and fix it. Yay, again!

So, I'm posting the last of my photos, my visual inspiration, for my paranormal stories set in New England.

The Colony resides in Kennebunkport, ME, and we happened upon it while exploring the village during our second trip to New England. Closed for the season, the hotel just screamed to be an important part of my stories and I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it, instantly. So, I have one that I've based on this hotel--just what inspired me from studying the outside--and it's owned by wealthy hotelier family, whose son runs it...But more importantly, he's a demon hunter. He's the hero in Book 2 and the perfect one to match up in a battle of wills with my witch heroine, Anne. They have to learn to trust one another and work together in order to rid the ever increasing amount of demons encroaching on their turf.




We passed by The Clam Box as we drove through Ipswich, Massachusetts on our way to Salem and I recognized it from a Travel Channel show, something like "Roadside America," but of course, now I can't find the link...Sorry about that. Isn't this unique? I love how the building is shaped like an open take out box!

Anyway, the clam shacks, the fun, attractive and uniquely shaped restaurants all help in adding atmosphere to my settings.



And what's New England without the Red Sox? During our first trip, we toured the field a few hours before the game, which was such a cool experience! To see the thousands of dents from where the baseballs hit the Green Monster and to stand on the warning track in the outfield and wonder what the grass would feel like under my feet. Nope, we were under strict instructions NOT to touch the outfield grass, so I can't tell you whether it was spongy or packed.





So, it's back to polishing for me! I'm thisclose to finishing Book One of The Prentice Legacy trilogy.

How're you all doing? How's your writing?

Michele