Friday, March 07, 2008

"A Little Bit Like Coming Home..."

Last week, Abby Normal posted over on his blog that when he and E (my husband) talk music , E always brings up The 88. Oh, this is soooo true. It's like he's a disciple of this local band, or something. I fully expect one day to find him dressed in a long robe and sandals, complete with shoulder length hair and a beard, singing the praises of The 88.

But the praise and converting attempts have paid off because I'm listening to them now. A lot. It's easy music to listen to when I write. (Ssshhhh. Don't tell him, though. I'm playing it cool. ::wink::)

And they're a local band, which is awesome. Gotta support 'em. The videos below were shot at The Detroit Bar in Costa Mesa, CA by E, and the songs "Coming Home" and "All 'Cause of You" are from The 88's latest CD, Over and Over. Their next CD should be released soon. Oh, and the band thanked E for posting these videos on YouTube and Vimeo (more exposure for them), so it's not a problem posting them here.


"Coming Home" The 88 @ Detroit Bar from eric cwiertny on Vimeo.

You might remember the song from this Target Commercial. Targets are nationwide, aren't they? And who doesn't love Target? And their commercials! Okay, I'm a little advertising biased. Ads put food on the table at Chez Cwiertny. :-)


"All 'Cause of You" The 88 @ Detroit Bar from eric cwiertny on Vimeo.

"All 'Cause of You" has been used in movies, so it might sound familiar as well. I believe I heard it in the trailer for You, Me, and Dupree. (Didn't see the movie.)

Now, here's the band I'm obsessed with...Muse. Don't be surprised to find me dressed in a robe and sandals, complete with shoulder length hair and a beard, singing the praises of Muse. (And yes, it's because of E...again.)



This album, Absolution, is on my iTunes and I listen to it over and over (hey, that's the name of The 88 album!) as I've been revising my paranormal. The sense of urgency, need, desire, fear, and strength in the songs help put me in each scene and in each character. This album is so on par with my story and characters, it's scary. And I hadn't known about it until I started my revisions. I actually wrote the first draft while listening to Ben Folds' album Rockin' the Suburbs. Still cool, but a completely different vibe.

I'm particularly obsessed with this song by Muse, "Time Is Running Out" because it's exactly what my hero Cooper Landry is going through with my heroine Elisabeth Prentice.

Wait. I'm not growing a beard, am I?

What are you listening to?

Michele