Wednesday, March 19, 2008

"A Good Diplomat...Speaks Softly"

Last night, being Tuesday, E was channel surfing with little hope of finding anything to watch. I figured he'd given up when stopped on the ending credits of god-knows-what, so I opened my laptop to dive back into a scene I'd been working on a few hours earlier and he flipped his laptop open as well in order to do some research for work.

Then part one of the HBO mini-series "John Adams" began and my gaze drifted to the TV screen...where I was suddenly riveted by this movie. I glanced over at E and the same thing had happened to him. Not only that, but I realized somewhere along the way, I'd closed my computer. E's computer sat in the chair next to him, closed.

That's the power of fantastic storytelling. It reached out, grabbed us by the throats and held us captive. "Join, or Die" was the motto of the revolutionists and that intensity, that threat, fear, dread, and excitement is certainly present throughout the episodes that I've seen so far. I can't wait for this to be released on DVD.

And with it running on HBO, you know the network won't hold back any punches, won't sugarcoat the war or the lives of those caught in it. Nor would executive producer Tom Hanks whose "Band of Brothers" is an all-time favorite at our house.

I haven't read a biography of John Adams since grade school, but this makes me want to again so I can see how closely it follows his true story.

Have any of you had a chance to watch the first two parts? They're airing Sundays at 9 p.m. and there will be a total of seven parts.

Here's the trailer for the mini-series...

Michele