Friday, September 19, 2008

Same Place, Different Season

So if you're like me, maybe you've visited a place during the summer or the winter and thought, I'd love to come back here during the autumn. Or maybe, Wow, I'd love to see what this town looks like during the holidays.

I've been longing to get back to New England for awhile now. We've traveled there in the summer and very early spring (might as well as been winter, though, as a freak snow storm powered through the East Coast right around our visit--burr--but the snow that blanketed the historic towns--stunning!). Anyway, I'd LOVE to be there in the fall to witness the change of the brilliant foliage, the crisp weather, the cold-weather food. It'll be awhile before we'll make it out to New England again (sniff)... So here's my question for those of you who live on the East Coast: Do you mind telling me what I'm missing? I'd like to know about the weather, the food, the tourists, the peepers, the crimson blueberry fields, everything!

One of the stories that I hope to write is set in Maine during the fall. I say "hope" because it's the second in the series. And since I've lived my entire life in suburbia California where the trees pretty much stay green all year round--unless it's "fire" season--I'm in awe of regions with honest-to-goodness seasons. :-)

Another place I want to visit is London during Christmas. I think that may be because I've watched Love Actually more than a few times. ;-)

I know we had to wear jackets and scarves there in June and also wore them when we traveled there at the beginning of July a few years ago, so I can only imagine how cold it is during December. But just one time, I'd like to experience that city all dressed up for the holidays--the lights, the decorations, the music, the food. Doesn't that sound fun? Have you been to London during the holidays? Do you live in the UK? Do you mind telling me about your experience?

So, what about you? Is there a place you'd like to go back and visit during another time of year, another season--maybe the holidays? Is it someplace local to you that you just haven't been to in awhile? Have you ever set a story there?

Take Care,

Michele