Monday, September 15, 2008

Good Writing Music


Have you guys heard of the Icelandic musical group Sigur Rós? They categorize themselves as "rock," yet they're the most ethereal rock band I've ever listened to. For me, it's the perfect music to listen to while writing.

On Friday night, my youngest brother-in-law introduced us to Heima, which documents the band's return to Iceland after they'd toured the world. Throughout this film, they conduct free concerts all around the island, from one at a coffee shop to a couple huge open air concerts. And the visuals of Iceland...wow. It's absolutely gorgeous and wild, if not stark in many areas. After watching that movie, I realized how much I don't know about that country and its people. That's going to have to change.

Below is a trailer for Heima, and the word "Heima" in Icelandic means "at home." This clip was taken off the Sigur Rós YouTube site, so it'll give a taste of their music, as well as a good idea of the raw beauty of the island.

So, what are you listening to these days? I need some new music.

Take Care,

Michele