Monday, February 11, 2008

Same Town, Different Moods

Hi everyone,
I’ve been deep in “the revision zone.” So, I thought over the next few blogs, I’d post some photos in order to show you what has been a source of inspiration for my stories. These photos were taken during two separate trips to York, ME: 1) during the first week of July 2004 trip, and 2) during the first week of April 2007.

What’s so cool is that both trips were completely different experiences, and I loved them both. And even better: Book One of my paranormal trilogy starts at the beginning of summer, so I have experience dealing first-hand with the crowds on the Fourth of July, the bumper to bumper cars on Route 1 from Kittery to Kennebunkport, the battles for parking in nearly all of the villages and towns, and the lines out the door in the restaurants. The slight chill in the air, then the humidity, and the thunderstorms and lightning that reminded me of something I'd seen only in movies previously. And the Mosquitos, with a capital M. But not only that, I’ve tasted and fell in love with the lobster rolls, fried clams, chicken bombs, and blueberry pies.

(Short Sands...York Beach, ME)












And by Book Three, my story is set in the dead of winter and finishes at the very beginning of spring. As you can see by these photos, most of the town shuts down in the off-season, which is virtually unheard of out here in California. It looked like a ghost town…Sooo different than the summer! Signs were pulled off the buildings, windows boarded up and paint was peeling. No battling for parking and no waiting in restaurants.

A few of the local businesses remain open year-round, so it’s not completely closed down every winter. And the week we were there was the week before the official season began; therefore, one day a business would be closed, but the next, the shades would be up and the neon sign lit. Kinda of like watching a sleepy town stretch and yawn after a long nap then blink a couple of times as it started to wake up before company began to arrive. But the guests wouldn’t pour in early that year, as winter made its appearance late and the snow kept on comin’. Not being used to that kind of lung-freezing chill, we couldn’t wear enough layers of clothing. But damn, the town was gorgeous and moody!

Same town, two completely different views of it. Different moods, different atmospheres.

Do you look at your old photos for inspiration?

Hope you're all doing well!

Michele

P.S. If you'd like to join me, I'm also blogging over at A Slice of Orange today! :-)