Wednesday, October 01, 2008

It's Banned Books Week

Which means... The American Library Association is "Celebrating the Freedom to Read." On their website, you'll find Banned Books Week events, the top books that have been banned or challenged, how to deal with those challenges, and how to support Banned Books Week.

Reading Banned BooksI've had this button in my sidebar for awhile now, the one that reads: "Everything I need to know about life, I learned by reading banned books." One of my friends, a school librarian who has been battling narrow-minded parents for the past couple of years, has a button with those words written on it pinned to her cork board in her library. I love that.

We cannot ban books. No, no, no. No one should be able to control what other children read, what my child reads. I'll take responsibility for what he's reading (or not, as the case may be).

So, do you have a favorite banned book? There are so many on the most frequently challenged list of 100 from 1990-2000. I think you'll be surprised by the older books STILL on the list.

I loved reading #22 A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle when I was a kid, and seriously... #88 Where's Waldo? by Martin Hanford? What? Why? Sigh.

Take Care,

Michele