Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Christmas in September


You know, I’ve been pretty darn lucky lately. I’ve read some damn fine paranormals, two of which are from one of my all-time favorite authors, Christina Dodd. I’m hooked on her Darkness Chosen series.

I just finished the first two in the series, Scent of Darkness and Touch of Darkness, and can’t wait for the final two to hit the shelves, which will be in July and August 2008. (Dang it. Write faster, Christina. ;-) Tee-hee.)

What I love about her writing, and this thrilling, shape-shifter series in particular, is the detailed mythology she creates that carries through the entire series. What is it, you ask? A 1000 years ago, a warrior ancestor of the Wilder family made a pact with the Devil...and now the Wilders need to break that pact. But the problem? The more the Wilder men shape-shift into a wolf or a hawk...or whatever else Christina has planned for her sexy, Alpha heros...the closer they come to turning pure evil and the closer they come to acting as savage and ruthless as their Ukrainian relations. So, they must use their power wisely.

You know, I’ve been reading Christina’s historical romances for years and years (a big shout out for The Runaway Princess—woo!) and what sucks me into her paranormals is the mix of historical elements, the contemporary storyline, the mythology, the suspense, the chemistry and emotion between the characters, and, of course, the paranormal premise. This series has it all and she does it well.

Another favorite author who can hook me and reel me in with her paranormals is Maureen Child. I know. I read these books several months ago, but she also knows how to add just the right mix of elements and swirl them together perfectly--as evidenced by her Nocturnes, Eternally (11/06) and Nevermore (2/07). And she wrote historical romance as well! (And made me cry several times with this one. On Christmas Eve. Thanks a lot, Maureen. ;-))

And guess what? It’s here! It’s here! It’s here! And I didn’t have to tackle the mailman yesterday and say, “Where the hell is my box from Amazon, buddy?”

Okay, I wouldn’t really do that. I think he carries pepper spray or mace, or something. Besides, he knows where I live.

But J.R. Ward’s Lover Unbound has arrived and there’s much rejoicing. Well, at least by me. Who’s with me? Huh? Huh?

Vishous! Sigh.

But first, I must write. I have my own paranormal to finish. :-)

Happy writing and reading everyone!

Michele

P.S. To see an interview with Christina Dodd on Romance B(u)y the Book, click here: http://videos.lifetimetv.com/?fr_chl=494e8bc8fd79bf6af979ac2adde10a0fbea1c318&rf=bm