Thursday, April 17, 2008

Brenda Novak's Online Auction to Benefit Diabetes Research

Brenda Novak will be holding her 4th Annual Online Auction May 1st-May 31st. Every year, this auction raises quite a bit of money for diabetes research, and this year the goal is $300,000. Brenda started this auction because her son has juvenile diabetes and it's something that's a constant presence in their lives.

Adult-onset diabetes (Type 2) runs in my family and I watched my grandmother suffer from it. It's the main reason I was determined to lose 50 pounds...A goal that took me years to reach, but I finally did it. (Other reasons were high blood pressure and cholesterol.)

HUNDREDS of fantastic items are up for auction: trips of a lifetime, jewelry, gift baskets, lunches with editors/agents/authors, evaluations by editors/agents, books, purses, and more! There's something for everyone.

So be sure to check it out! :-)

Oh, and the video below is of Brenda talking about why she became a writer (a frightening story for parents!) and the auction for diabetes.

Michele


The following is from Brenda Novak's auction website:


"I'm currently adding items (along with my Canadian friend, Lauren Hawkeye, and my assistant, Anna Stewart) that will be up for auction when the Fourth Annual On-line Auction begins May 1st. As you can tell from what's already listed (and we have a lot more to go), it's going to be the most amazing auction yet. Please put it on your calendar. As usual, it will run May 1-May 31st right here at www.brendnovak.com. Help me double what we raised last year (which would be a whopping $300,000!!).

"Thank you to all those who make this happen each year--to my donors for their generous support, to my bidders for participating and making it so worthwhile. What an inspiration you have all been. I have no doubt that our efforts are making a difference!!


"Once again I'll be offering some fabulous prizes to the person placing the highest number of bids over all (even if that person doesn't win a single item). This year it will be a brand new Camcorder (retail value of at least $1,000), Your Name In My Next Book, an autographed copy of TRUST ME (6/08--the first of The Last Stand series), and chocolate (lots of chocolate)!

"New this year: The first $150,000 in auction proceeds will go the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, the balance will go to the Diabetes Research Institute at the University of Miami.

"I'd like to extend a special thank you to Abbott Diabetes Care, Harlequin Enterprises, Publisher's Weekly, RT Book Review Magazine and Writer's Digest Magazine for their generous support of my efforts."