Tuesday, June 26, 2007

For those of us who've always wanted to live in a 1940s movie...

About once a week, I receive updates from the Lively Arts History Association, which lists social events ranging from An Evening in the Colonies to learning the dances of English Regency period to finding antiques and vintage clothing at the Rose Bowl Swap Meet. These events are a great way to get some "hands on" research! Oh, and by the way, if you're a history buff and live in the SoCal area, then I highly recommend subscribing to this fantastic list http://lahacal.org ; however, I'm sure other areas and states have similar associations as well.

This week, though, I found something I hadn't expected on the list of Upcoming Events...

It is an announcement for this Sunday, July 1, from 6:00 PM - 11:00 PM at Maxwell DeMille's Cicada Club.

From the June 26th, 2007 e-mail of LAHA/Social Daunce Irregulars:

"An elegant 1940s night club evening featuring Dean Mora and his orchestra."

I LOVE Big Band music! But here's the really cool part: Check out the website for the Cicada Club!

The club has retained many of the original art deco fixtures, and the atmosphere inside the building, including the music and clothing of the guests, is period as well. How cool is that?

I hadn't heard of this place before today, but I've always wanted to be in a 1930s or 1940s movie and this is probably about as close as I will ever get...Unless I write an early 1940s-style movie and get a bit part, or something! Hey, I better get busy working on that.

Have fun,

Michele


UPDATED TO ADD: From what I can gather on the Cicada Club website, the Cicada Restaurant is a permanent fixture in the Art Deco Oviatt Building, but Maxwell DeMille's Cicada Club is considered a special event. At least, that's the way I keep reading it. I only hope it's not every 17 years like the real cicadas! :-)

MC